Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ethiopia t-minus 6 days!

Well, here we are at day 1 of my life as a blogger, something I swore I'd never be!  But being the super-E extrovert that I am, I wanted a way for my friends and family to stay connected with us while we are in Ethiopia.  The road that led me to this point has been amazing and unexpected and filled with lessons and growth and tremendous blessings.  It certainly deserves its own post, and will soon get one.

But fast forward to today, 6 days away from sending my precious boys out to stay with 4 different families while Michael and I travel to surely one of the poorest nations on Earth.  We will travel with a group of 23 people, mostly doctors and nurses, all Christians.  We will carry 46 50-lb duffel bags filled mostly with medical equipment and supplies.  Over the course of 2 weeks we will attempt to touch, treat, heal, educate and bless as many men, women, and children as possible.  We are going to Project Mercy in Yetebon, 90 miles southwest of Addis Ababa, and over a mile high in altitude.  PM is an International Emergency Relief and Community Development Ministry that has been operational since 1977.  In the midst of a poor farming population of about 70,000, PM operates a simple hospital where patients will be seen, surgeries performed, and babies delivered. Groups of us will travel out on foot every day to schools to offer health assessments, health education, immunizations, and who knows what else. Several doctors are bringing along curriculum to teach the local population courses in Basic Life Support in Obstetrics, and Helping Babies Breathe (newborn resuscitation).  As I understand it, the name of the game is flexibility and adaptability.  The unexpected always happens, and we have been warned that it's not uncommon to be asked to perform a duty which is completely foreign, uncomfortable, and out of the scope of one's knowledge and experience.  When I joked that I wanted to help deliver a baby, I was told that was a very real possibility.  Even though I may not know the details of my specific job, I know my plan is to be willing and open, flexible and cooperative.  Oh yes, and to sing with kids and teach them, hold them and love them.  To encourage mothers and hold hands and pray and cry and laugh with them.  To spread joy and smiles.  To bless and be blessed.  And hopefully to assist in a delivery:-)

Oh, the excitement and fear of being called to do something that I am unprepared, unskilled, and untrained for.  And who in their right mind would leave their 4 kids for 2 weeks in the middle of chaotic school-sports-music-therapy schedules??  This is how I know God is the driver of this crazy and impossible train.  No one but He could have laid this joy in my heart, and this peace in my soul, even among my doubts and stress.  My rational brain tells me this trip is craziness, but my soul testifies to its rightness.  I am excited to share this journey (actual and emotional) with you.  Now I just have to hope I can figure out how to do this blogging thing from a 3rd world country ha!

In the meantime, you can check out Project Mercy's website at www.projectmercy.org.  There is also an official group blog at www.ethiopiapm2011@blogspot.com. Wishing you peace, love, and joy!

4 comments:

  1. Jenny, I'm your first commenter! I'm so glad that you started this blog so we can share in what you and Michael experience during your time over there. I know it's got to be scary, but the boys will be in good hands and will all be in one piece when you get back. I think it will be such a rewarding experience and a wonderful chance to reach out and help the people the people you come in contact with in Yetebon. Love you and we'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing woman. I can't wait to read your updates, and I am so excited for you and for the lives you are about to touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you are including us in your journey with this blog. Thank you!! I can't wait to see what God has in store for you. You are such an incredible light and will no doubt brighten the Ethiopians world and bring glory to the Lord. And...any baby would be lucky to have you be the first one to touch them and pray for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, this is going to be as much a defining moment in your life as the births of your children or your wedding to your sweet Michael. Soak it in and hold the memories even as you open and let the spirit flow through you into this impoverished part of the world. The blog is a wonderful idea and I will look forward with joy and prayer to following it and you. Praying without ceasing for you, the team, the people whose lives you will benefit, and for your wonderful family. Love in Him, Dori

    ReplyDelete